Friday, May 4, 2007

Day 82



















Weight- 290lbs YAHTZEE!








This morning I ate breakfast and went downtown to my appointment with the Creighton exercise science dept to do my water weighing. Unfortunately my blood pressure was right at the limit (148/90) they have set to do water weighing she thought it was possibly because I had just drank some coffee. So I just opted for the skin fold test. Turns out I am at 28% which is roughly a 10% loss and about where I expected to be. The only thing I am disappointed with is that I didn't really make any gains in muscle, strength yes but not much muscle. So if any one has any ideas for my next challenge let me know! I went home after that did some laundry and waited for my brother to come and take my pictures. When he arrived he helped me do a little "manscaping" on my back and then we took the pictures. I was soooo... surprised not so much about my front pictures but my back pictures were really improved from week 9. I always read how past participants and champions saw such great results in their last couple weeks I just didn't think it was going to happen for me, and it did. After we got the pictures taken I ate lunch, then my brothers wife stopped over and we went to see Spiderman, it wasn't the best but it was a good afternoon. After the movie my brother and I went to Sam's club I had to pick up a few things I thought I would kill two birds w/ one stone and print my pictures to send in w/ my packet on Monday. When we were leaving I realized that Gold's closes at 10pm on Friday so I wouldn't be able to do my lower body workout. I came home and decided I could make it in time to do my cardio for tomorrow so Saturday will have to be lower body. By far the best day of my 12 weeks. Today I felt like the STEAMROLLER!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Craig,

You shouldn’t feel disappointed that you didn’t gain as much muscle as maybe you were anticipating, but I can assure you… from the pictures I know for a fact that you definitely gained muscle mass, more specifically, “definition.”
What definition typically means is that the muscle fibers you had gain a little in size and definitely in strength in your case, which is a real good thing, because if you weren’t getting any strength gains, then you definitely would be overtraining/starving your body which would have been a real bad thing.
Secondly, it’s like I told you in the beginning, you have to choose the path you want to take first, weight loss (fat loss) or build muscle. It’s really hard to lose weight and gain size, especially when starting out at the weight level and fat percentage you were at. The reason being, is to lose a pound of fat it takes 3500 calories to be burned off or eliminated from the diet, to build a pound of muscle you need to intake an additional 4200 calories (that’s extra calories on top of the calories needed just to maintain you everyday nutritional needs). As you can see it’s actually takes a lot more calories to build than to lose.
It’s too bad you didn’t get to take the underwater weighing because the girl probably didn’t tell you the error factor for skin fold testing method is up to +/-8%. That means you possible could have been anywhere from 36% to as little as 20% body fat (based off 28%). Also, the bigger the change the better the story it is to tell.
If you were real slim and wanted to lose body fat and build muscle, then it would be easier, but you didn’t start that way and you have definitely come a lot farther because of it as a person. You have to realize it only took you less than 3 months to change with hard work, dedication and conviction what took you over 8 years to achieve by being un-active, lethargic and uncommitted (sorry if that sound’s harsh, but just comparing to the new you). Keep this up for a year you will sore farther than or original goals ever intended and just not on a visual physical plain either.

Real long posting buddy,

Jon